Here are five things you should know about top Italian restaurant 8 ½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA Shanghai:
1. 8 ½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA Shanghai is the second venture of acclaimed chef Umberto Bombana. The chef is pretty much synonymous with high-end Italian dining in Hong Kong and has been garnering accolades at his 8 ½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA Hong Kong since it opened in January 2010. The Shanghai branch, which opened in the beginning of 2012, has a similar menu.
2. The menu at 8 ½ Otto e Mezzo is based on updated classic Italian preparations using the freshest and most exquisite ingredients available. The idea that less is more is core here, with an emphasis on bringing out original flavors.
3. The curious name is a tribute to the chef’s favorite director, Federico Fellini, and his classic film 8 ½ celebrating the Italian life.
4. The restaurant is located at the Rockbund district, an area of restored historic buildings from Shanghai’s colonial period and an up-and-coming destination for the city’s fashionable crowd.
5. The restaurant has two outdoor seating areas so book early when the weather is nice. One is an intimate terrace with just eight tables.